Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Two firsts! Socks and a Felted Bag

I have two FOs to share - the first is my very first completed pair of SOCKS! Woo hoo!



Pattern: Knitting Pure and Simple Beginner's Sock Pattern
Yarn: Plymouth Encore

This was a great newbie sock pattern. It was needle-by-needle instructions which really helped me understand the basic construction of a sock. And the fact that the pattern called for worsted weight yarn was nice too because it went very quickly so I could see what I was doing.

I was so excited about finishing them that I cast on for Jaywalkers but for some reason they were clearly too big so I frogged them and will try a smaller needle size. I did an in-the-round swatch so I'm not sure what happened. I used US3s for the swatch and the first attempt so now I'm going to try my 2s.

Next up, my felted bag! It was the Kitchen Sink Bag from Two Old Bags and I used Cascade 220. I started this bag about a year ago but it kept getting pushed to the back burner. Finally I completed it and felted. But now that I'm looking at the photo I'm realizing it really does need another trip through the washing machine, the stitches are still visible.



Pattern: Kitchen Sink Bag
Yarn: Cascade 220

One last thing, I just want to talk about what a great LYS I have! I go to Wool and Company in Geneva. They have a great selection of yarn - almost every time I see a brand of yarn on the internet or in a magazine that I want to try it turns out they sell it.

So anyhow I stopped in last week with my 2-year-old DD. I know what you're thinking - 2-year-old in a yarn store? But she is well-behaved - there is a crate of books and toys and she will sit and play quietly.

I needed a substitute for a yarn that had been discontinued - DH wants a brown scarf. So I asked the two women working in the front and they started to make numerous suggestions showing me all types of yarns. Then one of the women remembered a yarn that wasn't out yet on the floor that could work and went in back to retrieve 3 balls of it for me. That yarn (Lang Tosca) turned out to be the winner!

I was so grateful for their help - I was able to get what I needed and get out of there quickly!

6 comments:

Ana Petrova said...

Great job! Both the socks and the bag looks terrific. I've been knitting socks for about a year now and they are so much fun I can't stop.

Happy Knitting.

rohanknitter said...

Great job on the socks! I keep saying I'm going to learn to do that.
You must live not far from my sister - when I go visit her, I always try to stop at Wool & Co! I never have enough time to really see everything in there, though.
Happy knitting!
(Karen from south of K3)

Knittinreed said...

GOod for you! You have been assimilated! Resistance is futile!
Nice bag too.....

eve knits said...

mice socks! can't wait to see the jaywalkers! lovely bag too.

eve knits said...

oops! i meant nice not mice!

RheLynn said...

Great work on your two firsts projects!